I subbed in a first grade class the other day and quite a few interesting things happened. The first was that the students were trying to interpret the picture book I was reading into American Sign Language because there is a Deaf student in their class and they are used to seeing an interpreter (so they were practicing, although they weren't making any sense). The second thing was during independent reading, some of the girls were practicing reading their books the way a teacher does to a whole class. The third was the funniest, which is that instead of calling me Miss Aubrey he called me " Miss Arby" (like the fast food restaurant). The last was one of the coolest examples of the lack of inhibitions when we are young.
The practicum student was doing a lesson on things we were thankful for because Thanksgiving is coming up and she was having the students brainstorm a list of things they could write on their turkey's. Some of the kids suggested food and houses and family and then she called on one boy and he said God and the practicum student was totally stunned as to how to respond and I just smiled and said that we could be thankful for God. The next student the Practicum student called on was one of the girls I know from camp and her response was that we could be thankful for the fact that "God sent his only son Jesus" and I tried not to chuckle because the practicum student was now at a complete loss for what to say and I knew it was such a good answer. So the practicum student just moved on and I quietly went over to the girl and told her to give me a high five for a great answer.
It's just great the things you get to see and hear students do and say and I would have such a boring time in life if I didn't get to experience them. I hope these things brought a little smile to your face because they did mine.
20 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment