10 December 2008

Have I mentioned recently...

that I LOVE MY JOB!

I love my job. And it is for such a multitude of reasons.

Firstly, kids are just stinking hilarious...I get to overhear the most amazing and amusing things, such as when one of my second graders said "let's make the boys chase us" at recess and in the most serious tone to one of my other second graders, "another reason why I don't want to grow up is..." I also get glimpses of them when they don't realize anyone is watching. Today, one of my girls was absolutely fascinated with the ducks while we were out playing in the snow and it was so fun to watch her watch them. Another one of my first graders will just burst into dance now and then because she can't contain her energy and excitement.

Second, I work at the greatest school ever...No matter what a child is like, they are whole accepted at my school. I love that the kids feel like they can be themselves and I love even more that they are not criticized or judged for that. Everyone sees the differences and everyone knows the quirks, but all of us (parents, teachers, students) look at those differences and quirks and think 'that's just the way that person is.' I've actually heard those words come out of my student's mouths when someone has asked about another student and why they are the way they are. My heart was so touched by that response and am often overwhelmed and grateful for the fact that the students at my school have to learn to deal with other students that are incredibly different than them, whether it be a learning disability or language barrier or personality.

Lastly, I am often reminded in my job of how God relates to us. But today, I found myself remembering how God so often teaches me...through my students. I was struck while telling one of my students that she should listen to the request of her classmate and do that request for no other reason than her classmate had asked her to because earlier in the day I had had a bad attitude when one of my colleagues asked that I not open the window because she was cold even though I wanted some fresh air. Man, what a reminder that I need to follow my own advice and do as I would want my students to do. God is so good to bless me with these reminders and so gracious for allowing me the time to learn and screw up before getting it right.

Blessings!

No comments: