I forgot to mention that on St. Nicholas day, you can see St. Nick walking about town and in department stores (or the equivalent here) handing out clementines and peanuts. It's quite crazy, but definitely gets one in the Christmas Spirit!
I also learned this weekend that in the town of Kandern just north of where I live the parents take the children's shoes to the center of town after the kids have gone to bed. They are then filled and placed in the windows of the local shops. When the children wake up on St. Nicholas day they have to search around town for their shoes.
The best addition to this particular St. Nicholas Day was that one of our neighbors (I think) put three napkins with clementines, peanuts, and chocolate Santas outside our apartment door. It was such a happy blessing to open the door and see that they had thought of us and wanted to include us in this tradition!
Now we have to figure out how to write a note in German to St. Nick to post to our door to say thank you...
09 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment