25 February 2009

Lent: Ash Wednesday

So, I woke up today to hear my two roommates, Mallory and Amy-Jo, discussing what they were thinking of giving up for Lent. Now, for most of my life I was not even aware that Lent existed. One of the dangers of growing up Baptist, I guess. But, my education since moving to the Basel area has been enlightening.

The last two years I have been able to partake in the joys of Shrove Tuesday...pancakes are quite yummy! Irish ones have been my favorite so far and Crepes follow at a close second. Anyway, today is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. I didn't attend a church service, which I guess is a part of the festivities, but as I was on my run this evening I was trying to figure out from what I should abstain.

TV is always a good thing for me to cut out of my daily life. I am always trying to convince myself to read more books and listen to more music, but I find that I am always drawn toward the 'boob tube' as my parents would say. I also thought about other things that are major distractions for me and allow me to also ignore God, such as spending an abundant amount of time with friends. In order to edify and preserve relationships, I thought better of cutting off communication with people.

I was then reminded of how I always struggle to be consistent with my devotions and how it's easier to avoid God when I don't take time to sit quietly and be in His word. So, instead of abstaining this Lent, I have decided to make a commitment. I will do my best to do a devotion time every day for the next forty days!

Well, I best be off seeing as it's already after 9pm and I haven't done my devotions for today.

No comments: