18 July 2006

Southern Adventures

Since my last post, I have been introduced to the Tennessee cities of Hixson, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

In Hixson I was able to run errands with Beth and her mother (Lou), including getting Traveler's Cheques for our month excursion. Later that night, Beth and I have an unwelcomed, creepy, crawly, flying visitor (aka Southern Cockroach) that we tried our best to demolish but were outsmarted or outsleuthed (I'm not sure which), but was found in the morning in the kitchen by her parents. Their house is full of boxes to the point that there is just enough room for people to walk around, but not much more. You could become completely invisible if you are behind the right pile of boxes and a room or two are not even accessible at all.

In Chattanooga, Beth and I got to visit the aquarium and see all sorts of sea animals. Random Fact: The aquarium in Chattanooga has the largest fresh water exhibit in the world. I got tons of great pictures and had a blast (I haven't been to an aquarium since I was in middle school)! One of the coolest things about the excursion is that we both got to pet sturgeon and sting rays. My favorite exhibits were the turtles and butterflies (I know, not a water animal). Some of the crysali looked like pure gold gems. We also got to go to this cute little shop across the Tennessee River (which is humongous by the way) and it was exactly like we were back in Eugene shopping. We got some cool beads that we are going to make into necklaces and whatnot while we have down time on our trip ;)


This is a chocolate chip starfish. Doesn't it look tasty? i get hungry every time I look at it!


This is a long neck turtle. It actually has to wrap it's neck sideways to curl up and go to sleep. We were both stunned when we first saw it.


One of the many brilliantly colored and designed butterflies that were incredibly difficult to photograph.

Beth and I then visited her grandparents, Daisy and Marcos (who are a very interesting Cuban couple). Daisy has more energy than any person I have ever known, including my grandmother (and those of you who know her are probably impressed). I am also impressed by the fact that I am a whole head taller than Daisy. I don't regularly feel like a giant! This was all a ton of fun, but we got a well-deserved rest on Sunday by just hanging around the house.


Here is Beth with her grandparents. Isn't Daisy adorable (and short).

Last night Beth's dad (Jim), Beth's brother (Alex), Beth, and I watched "Super Size Me." It was disgusting, but so good and educational and I think I might become a veggie now. I'll at least aspire to it in the next few months or years.

Today, Beth and I ran a bunch of errands around town and still need to do some of then even though it is almost 10:30 at night. It is undecided what we will be doing tomorrow until our flight leaves (10 pm). It could be touring Atlanta or visiting the aquarium in Atlanta (which is the largest in the world). So, until next time, Thanks for reading!

-Aubrey

P.S. I got to do the first cut of Beth's hair that she is donating to locks of love. So, now we have matching backpacks, shirts, and hair. I'm sure there's more, but I can't quick recall them all. Scary, Huh?

No comments: