Today started out like any other. The exceptions to the morning were that I had enough time to go get brot (bread) from the Backerei (this word is missing an umlaut over the 'a' because I don't know how to add it in blogspot). I love laugenknoten! I also had extra time in the morning because I was actually fully prepared for the day's lessons. I think this is the first time since the year has started.
The day went as planned and the kids learned a lot. More than I was expecting. They even pointed a few things out to me. Today would have been a great day to have my filmed observation if I was still in college because the lesson went as planned (not really planned, I made a good portion up along the way) and the kids were "on," especially in math.
Then, during tutoring, I just hit a wall. I'm not sure exactly why, but both my student and I were just not feeling learning about ancient egyptians. We got through a bit and the time seemed to drag. Alas, we survived and maybe we will have better luck with Ancient Egypt tomorrow.
I had the feeling I would want to run today, so I packed my stuff to school. I was more than ready to run after tutoring. I didn't go very fast or far. It's been way too long since I last ran, but it felt good. As much as I don't particularly like it and the impact it has on my body, it really is the best way for me to releave the tension and stress I am feeling. I also tend to do better with God when I am outside and moving. I felt better when I got back to school to finish some things up for tomorrow.
I thought it was a unique aspect of teaching that as soon as I got back from my run, I sat down at the computer to look for ideas for an activity to do with warm colors, while counting how many points my students have earned so far towards their goal (still in my sweaty running clothes, mind you).
Random side: Derek Webb, Corinne Bailey Rae, and U2 have been the best music/therapy lately for me. They are just so good to listen to. Klove has also been enjoyable. I was really encourage by both Paul Wright "Take this life" and Phillips, Craig, and Dean "Friend of God" today.
I have just made my awesome refriend beans and almost burned them. oops. I'm distracted by this blog.
Now, I am sure at this point you all are wondering what is going on with this emotional turmoil. Sorry if these email seems quite melancholy. I am actually feeling better, now that I have spoken with my grandfather, which goes into the whole theme of a wierd day because, though I love him and we have pretty decent chats, he has not necessarily been my emotional support over the years. "Papa, you are slowly and successfully starting to fill Gramma's shoes."
The oddity of calling my grandfather today, instead of my grandmother, is, I think, some of the reason that I have felt so melancholy about such an odd day. Today is my Grandmother's 76th birthday, only she passed away three months ago yesterday. I didn't realize that much time had passed since her death and I'm sure some of you are stunned at the moment because I wasn't very good about informing people. Also, I think I have recently felt that significant missing piece of my support team. But, my grandfather brought up the good point that we should celebrate in some small way, anyway, and remember that when we mourn, it is for ourselves and we should take a bigger perspective of God's plan and His control. Thanks, Papa.
So, happy birthday, Gramma. I love you, I miss you and I called papa, since I know you would have reminded me to.
Thanks all for listening. May God bless your journey today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment