18 October 2007

This week

Hi all-
I was riding my bike home today thinking about the week and how crazy it has been, yet how great it has been, as well. I decided that I would update you all about this week and then do my best to catch up on the stuff in between.

On Tuesday, the first, second, and third grade classes went to Truz (pronounced troots), which a natural, garden, ecosystem thing that is literally across the street. We went with a class from a local montessori (sp?) school and learned about colors in nature. We went around and picked things that had color, which is everything, although some are considered more beautiful than others. We then separated the plants and flowers by color and ground them with pestle and morter (again, sp?) To this was added a liquid that is kind of stinky and sometimes an egg. This is how we made paint to paint pictures. It was a fun morning for the kids and I enjoyed it because I got to be outside on a very Oregon-like day, as well as getting to just explore and "be" with my students.

Wednesday, we (being the staff at RIA) had the opportunity to attend a fussball (football/soccer) game that was Switzerland versus the US. We got all decked out in red, white, and blue, as well as stars and American flags. There was a very small, yet lively contingent of American fans. Before the match, we ate at the closest thing I have seen to an American mall, which includes a supermarket. We had pizza that was measured in grams, not by slice. The pizza was made of focaccia bread and the guy just took his knife and cut a huge chunk. Then they weighed it and you were charged by how big or small you wanted it. I got two pieces, which were way too huge because I have no idea how to express that I want it this specific size. I also tried this juice that was kiwi, banana, and orange. It was so good.

Anyway, we (USA) won. The score was 1-0. It happened two minutes before the end of the game and at the end, the US team cam over to the USA section, which was mainly BFA (Black Forest Academy (another Christian International School in Germany)) and us (RIA), to wave a thank you and I thought that was so cool of them to recognize us. I was also wondering how you get on the US team and who exactly is represented on that team. Anyway, it was a great time to be American and not feel like you are the oddball that stands out and wishes that you could fly under the radar. Not to say that we weren't all oddballs, but at least we were together and it was accepted that that's the way we would be.

And, today, the preschool through third grades went to Laguna, which is the local swimming pool for an "all school swim," even though it was only half the school. The kids had so much fun and it was so good to get to interact with all of them for an extended period of time and to just hang out. For most of the time I didn't even have my students hanging off me, which is unusual. Not to say that I don't love my kids because I do and am so thankful that they shower me with smiles and questions and wide eyes and hugs. And they are always so excited to show me something. But, I do like the fact that they are all pretty self sufficient and I could disappear for an hour and I don't think they would notice, care or cause any trouble. Anyway, it was a good day to hang out with all of the students.

As a side note, it's interesting to see the students who are self aware, have or have no inhibitions, and those who desire the free spirit, but are truly terrified once they make the commitment to branch out. Whenever I observe kids, I feel like there is a window of clarity as to how all people work. It just all seems so boiled down and simple. Maybe, it's because they haven't quite learned how to mask the moments of reality and feelings. Just an observation and thought.

No comments: