Yesterday I went with a group to Freiberg, Germany. It's a fun University town, I guess. I really enjoyed just walking around relatively aimlessly and chatting with the people in the group.
We saw the Cathedral that was not damaged (in the war?), whereas practically everything else around it was. There was a picture. It was amazing to see the church standing unscathed while the surrounding area was flattened. The church was nice. Much like many of the other European Cathedrals I've been to. Although it is always intriguing to see what people decide is important to display in the church, I always enjoy the stained glass rose at the back of the church best.
We also walked around and looked at the market and shops. We went into a second hand shop that was like it had scooped up Eugene and planted it into this shop. This also intrigues me because I loved being in that shop and seeing those things, but most of it I would never think of owning. Especially because the majority of it I can get back home from the person who made it. Everyone here thinks I am a hippie, as well and I am still undecided on that point. Really, I guess it's just fun to see such a familiar piece of home.
We also saw a demonstration that had something to do with Turkey. We're not quite sure what, but it had some decent energy and there were plenty of Turkish flags.
Another interesting thing was while we were walking through a smaller side street we saw a window display that had real models displaying the undergarments for sale.
The observation that was made was that the town had quite a few underwear (women's mainly) and tea shops (at least 7 or 8).
We ate lunch at a Thai restaraunt where I got to have some decent Pad Thai. I'm not quite sure if it's as good as Bangkok Grill's, but it's worth a trip back.
It's amazing how an hour train ride can go by so fast, especially with good scenery and good conversation.
Once I got home, I called Beth and caught her up on the week and day. I think it was good for her to hear about a good week and day because the last few calls have been good, but with a note of sadness. Not because of anything bad, just because of transition. I also got to speak with my uncle, who I hadn't talked to in a while. It was good to chat with him and catch up. I got to hear a pretty funny story about my grandfather's attempts to cook himself a steak and potato meal.
Today, I went to church at Basel Christian Fellowship (BCF). We had coffee afterwards and then went to Diana's for lunch. I got back at a quarter to nine. It was a ton of fun and I could have stayed late into the night. I got to try this great cheese, as well. It's called Vacherin Mont d'Or and comes in a wooden box and is cooked in the oven. We had it with potatoes and bread. In this meal alone there were my three favorite foods:) It was really good and I guess is only available in the autumn time. I can't wait for next autumn to roll around!
Anyway, It was a good weekend and I am now recharged and ready to go for the week, even with a stuffy nose.
BTW, I was so confused while on facebook because I saw different things about veterans. Then, I looked up what holiday might be on 12 November and duh, the 11 NOV is Veteran's day. The things you become less aware when you live away from someplace. So, enjoy your day off. I'll be going to work:)
11 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment